Saturday, January 31, 2015

Cockscomb flower/Celosia Cristata,










This is a flower of my youth. My grand dad used to grow them. In Chinese, we called them Kai Kuan Fa.  Kai Kung  is rooster, Kuan is the comb and Fa is flower.

I saw this patch at the Sandringham village.

This flower is favoured during Chinese New Year in Singapore. The feathery type is lined along the Nanyang Tenchnological University, NTU. After asking the manager the first time if I could recycle his plants after Chinese New Year, he told me to take them once the 15th day was over. I made a friend with the manager using my position as the Gardening club secretary.

I recycled so many pots of this flower and the small calamansi. When I left Singapore, I sold some of them to raise funds for my Charity for the Deaf in Kenya.


Cockscomb flowers are also known as Wool Flowers or Brain Celosia, suggestive of a highly colored brain. The flowers belong to the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae. Cockscomb bloom with a compacted crested head 2-5 inches across, on leafy stems that are 12-28 inches long. The flower's name is suggestive of a rooster's comb. Cockscomb Flower blooms from late summer through late fall. The Celosia plant is an annual dicotyledon.

No comments:

Post a Comment