Friday, December 5, 2014

Japchae Korean sweet potato vermicilli salad.





Dish
Japchae, jabchae, chapchae, chop chae, or chap chae is a Korean dish made from sweet potato noodles, stir fried in sesame oil with vegetables, sometimes served with beef, and flavoured with soy sauce, and sweetened with sugar.

Today at the New Zealand Chinese BBQ, I had this salad. It brought me back to when I was in NTU, in Singapore. I was involved in our fund raiser for the Deaf In Kenya.

I was also involved in inviting people to come to buy our food and to contribute their food for us to sell. I befriended Yang, a Korean, and initially she came and bought our food. 

The first time she and another Korean wife brought this beautiful plate of Japchae, the person pricingthe dish did not recognise it was Japchae and sold it like Chinese vermicelli. When I found out, I wanted to stop the sale, but it was too late, everyone wanted to buy it.

I felt really bad because by selling it too cheaply, we didn't respect it as a specialty dish. When ever I see this dish, I remember my Korean friend Yang, and all the ladies in NTU. 

No comments:

Post a Comment