Friday, July 11, 2014

Clerodendrum thomsoniae (Bleeding Heart Vine,)


These lovely clusters of white flowers with red corollas were photographed at the Tropical greenhouse at the Auckland domain.

My grandpa and parents grew them in Borneo. They looked like tear drops.

http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
Addition: Clerodendrum thomsoniae (Bleeding Heart Vine,
Rosie of My garden Haven may be right. I googled, there are pink and white ones. My Grandpa's and dad's did have a red stamen, this one didn't. But the moment I saw it, I knew it was Grandpa's flower.

Features: Clerodendrum thomsoniae is an attractive bushy, tropical looking twining vine with glossy dark green ovate leaves and gorgeous flowers in clusters of 8-20 together, resembling a group of dangling hearts. Each flower has a pure/creamish white five-lobed calyx and a crimson five-petaled corolla. The flowers are quite long lasting with their white sepals gradually changing to light purple as it withers off. Occasionally, fruits develop in shade of green and blacken as they ripen, with four black seeds within that can be used for propagation.

http://fichas.infojardin.com/trepadoras/clerodendrum-thomsoniae-clerodendro-clerodendron.htm
go to this link, this is exactly those I saw in my grandpa's garden. This has the red corolla showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment