Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chinese Song - My motherland 我的祖國




This is among the few photos left of my grandfather. This one was taken with my youngest sister Grace in 1975.

Grand father always wore traditional Chinese ensemble which looks fisherman style tops and pants. He had his head cropped with 1/2 inch of hair. He was a fan of Bruce Lee, and people mistook him to be a Kung Fu master or See Fu. Grandfather was every bit a China-man.


Until his  death in 1976, grandpa lived in a self imposed exile. When he came to Sarawak, he was a visitor. He always had the intention of returning home to China. After the war, Sarawak became a British colony, the people became Sarawakians. In 1963, together with Sabah and Singapore, Sarawak joined Malaya to become Malaysia. The people became Malaysians.

What was to become of the Chinese Diaspora?  This was especially pertinent to the older groups like my grandfather who was born in China and always considered themselves Chinese citizens. Zhou En Lai in 1955 in the Bandung Conference change the stance of China’s traditional thinking. He told the overseas Chinese to be citizens of their host country or return home.

Grandfather Chan dreamt many a dream of returning to his birth place. That was to be a dream only. 

For a long time, Malaysian Government had a ban on her citizens to travel to China for fear of the Communist infiltration. My Grandfather Chan lived in that era. Even if he had wanted to go, he  could not. As a child, I often asked if he wanted to, he would give a silent no and then with a loud “of course, yes, China is my home.”

After the ban was removed, by then, Grand father had died. Grand father's life was similar to mine. Chinese blood flow in me, but I have never been to China. After writing this book, I feel the "Chineseness" in me, I tell people that I am a Chinese.

When people ask if I wrote my books in Chinese, and got someone to translate it, I used to feel indignant. "Can't a Chinese person write an English book?"

I don't anymore. I wish I had the ability to write in Chinese and have a billion Chinese read my book. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12NAaLX3B4
http://youtu.be/f12NAaLX3B4

Theme song of Shangganling Battle.
In the Korean war in early 1950s, a group of Chinese People's Volunteer soldiers are blocked in Shangganling mountain area for around 23 days. Lack of food, water, ammo and they miss their mother country very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Eb7sOpYmbMA

《我的祖国》是电影《上甘岭》的主题歌,乔羽作词,刘炽作曲
This song composed by chinese composer during Korea war . Its a song to image the Battle of Triangle Hill.


朗朗在白宫演奏我的祖国 Lang Lang performed 《My Motherland》 in the White House   



彭麗媛 我的祖國




中國/大陸準第一夫人 China's new first lady Peng Liyuan sings My Motherland


No comments:

Post a Comment